The Nexus Review

Well I finally got Swathcutter transferred over to Cairne and was able to get a group together to run my first instance in WotLK... The Nexus. I was able to run the dungeon twice in one night, once as a tank and once as DPS. Despite being horribly out of practice I think I did alright.

First off I have to give The Nexus a big thumbs up for ambiance. The look of the place was very nice I thought, and the layout lends itself well to go and hit any boss in any order you like (there were no restrictions that I could find). Which means if you and your friends are farming for a particular piece of gear you can head straight there. To add to the ambiance I thought the soundtrack for the dungeon was very well done.

There seemed to be a rather good mix of mob types in the dungeon as well... Humanoids, Elementals, Dragonkin, etc. If you were to go the Crowd Control route in this dungeon (like maybe on Heroic) it would make a number of different classes viable to help with CC in different sections of the instance.

The boss fights themselves I thought were rather lackluster. Mainly due to the fact that their "gimmicks" were easily dealt with. The caster chick splits into copies, just focus fire them down. The giant glowy voidwalker guy does nothing special, when he turns Pally on you any becomes invulnerable just kill the adds that show up, rinse and repeat. Now the Treeshaper boss had really good potential for a fun fight, but his spikes shooting out of the ground are easily avoided by simply standing on top of him. The mechanic for the (what has been the usual) final fight with the dragon in the central area, is easily avoided by staying mobile throughout the fight.

I wasn't impressed by the loot drops from the bosses, although they might be worth it for someone who just hit level 70. The quest rewards however I found very nice and was able to pick up a few upgrades to my tanking set.

The Nexus gets a B+ in my book. I just hope it gets more difficult on Heroic since it did seem overly simplistic.

No comments: